Meander your way for two days through cloud forests, streams, corn fields, and small pueblos on the way to the famous Lago Atitlán. Spend nights with Guatemalan families along the way, use a temazcal — the traditional Mayan sauna — and maybe even relax by a fire. On the third day, we wake up bright and early for a short walk to watch the sunrise over the Lake. After breakfast and hot drinks at the mirador, we descend into San Juan La Laguna, and enjoy a cup of coffee at the La Voz Coffee Cooperative, before taking a pickup to San Pedro. There, we swim and eat lunch at the waterside restaurant El Fondeadero, wait for our bags to arrive from Xela, and say our tearful goodbyes.
Please note that all treks must be booked by 11am the day prior to the departure to avoid a 50Q late fee.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Xela (Casa Argentina hostel)|
|DEPARTURE TIME||6:30am, every Tuesday and Saturday|
|ARRIVAL LOCATION||Restaurante El Fondeadero (San Pedro La Laguna)|
|ARRIVAL TIME||12:00pm (Bags from Xela dropped off between 1 and 3pm)|
|WHAT TO WEAR||hiking shoes, hiking clothes, fresh (warm) changes of clothes for night time, fleece, rain jacket, headlamp (opt), water shoes or flip flops, sleeping bag (0 deg or lower), sleeping mat, backpack (40-50L), sunscreen, swimsuit and towel
* If you need to borrow any of these items, we have them here for you included in the price
|WHAT’S INCLUDED||3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks, filtered water, transportation, guides, gear, and lodging (2 nights of homestays)|
|WHAT’S NOT||Bag drop to the Lake (if you want luggage sent to San Pedro, it is Q100 extra per person for the first bag, Q50 for second bag) & Sunscreen|
- 6:15am—meet at the Quetzaltrekkers office for breakfast
- 7:30am—25 minute bus ride to Xecam
- 8:10am—start walking uphill, climb out of the Xela valley
- 11:30am—begin our descent through the cloud forest
- 5:00pm—arrive in Santa Catarina
- 7:00am—breakfast at a comedor
- 8:00am—walk out of Santa Catarina
- 10:00am—Record Hill
- 11:30am—Ice cream village!
- 2:30pm—begin the stream crossings
- 4:00pm—the corn field of death
- 5:00pm—arrive in Xiprian
- 6:00pm—dinner at Don Pedro’s
- 7:00pm—camp fire!
- 3:30am—start walking to the mirador
- 4:45am—arrive at mirador, eat breakfast, watch the sunrise over Lago Atitlán
- 8:30am—descend through a coffee plantation
- 10:00am—arrive in San Juan La Laguna, stop at La Voz Coffee Cooperative for a fresh cup
- 11:00am—take a pickup to El Fondeadero, a restaurant on the water in downtown San Pedro
- 11:20am—arrive in San Pedro, eat lunch, hang out, swim
- 2-3:00pm—bags arrive, goodbyes are said, trip ends